78 Barry Road, 1997 Andrew Pehanick Photo
Assessors Record: Built in 1711
(Demolition Permit Pending)
51 Hogsback Rd., 1997 Andrew Pehanick Photo
Assessors Record: Built in 1775, though fireplace style indicates date prior to 1740.
(Slated for demolition by spring of 2008)
696 Oxford Rd., 2005 Assessors Field Card
Assessors Record: Built in 1880.
(Demolished June, 2007)
During the first year three buildings slated for demolition have been noted. Unfortunately, in the case of the first building, the procedures outlined in the ordinance were not followed when the buildings at 696 Oxford Road (on the Twin-Brooks property) were demolished. While it is does not appear the buildings could have been preserved due to their advanced state of deterioration, the opportunity to photograph and document them was lost.
Since that time another application has been received and the required legal notice was published in VOICES. This second building (at 78 Barry Road) is in a state of serious deterioration, as verified by a preservation/restoration contractor. Since it would be financially prohibitive to preserve it, the Town Historian and the Oxford Historical Society members have voted to work with the owner to document the building before it is demolished. Had the building been a candidate for restoration, local historians could have invoked the 90-day delay to work with the owner to suggest alternate plans to preserve or relocate the building. Portions of the building have been salvaged for use in preservation projects out of town.
Also as a result of the Ordinance, one property owner contacted the Town Historian regarding the old Town Poor House at 51 Hogsback Road, which will probably be demolished later this year. Here again, the Historical Society obtained the opinion of a qualified preservation/restoration contractor who advises the costs of preserving the building would be prohibitive. The owner has offered to donate salvage rights to the Oxford Historical Society and a local attorney's office is donating their services to draw up contracts that detail the terms and conditions of the agreement. Because the old Town Poor House was built close to the time the Twitchell-Rowland Homestead was built, the Society will be able to use salvaged floor boards from Hogsback Road to restore the floor in the original kitchen of the Homestead. Other portions of the house will be preserved and used in the Homestead and other area preservation and restoration projects. In the meantime, the interior of the old Town Poor House has been photographed and measured so that the Historical Society can maintain a permanent record of the building that was once an important part of Oxford's history.
In summary, the during the first year of the Delay of Demolition Ordinance:
Help Wanted as Oxford
Barn Inventory Continues.
The Oxford Historical Society and the Municipal Historian have begun an inventory of Oxford's barns. The survey is part of a state-wide program to inventory historic barns. Volunteers are being sought to photograph local barns. A list of barns has been compiled from the town tax records and volunteers may sign up to photograph particular barns or particular streets. Photography is done from the public highways, following a set of safety rules. For more details and information on how to volunteer, please click here . You do not have to be a member of the Oxford Historical Society to volunteer. The program will qualify as community service credits for many programs. (At right, Oxford's "Favorite Barn," located at Rich Farm , 691 Oxford Road, where the ice cream is made onsite and it's all delicious!)
Click on Thumbnails below to see Visual concepts for Oxford Center
See the Executive Summary of the Long Range Plan for the Oxford Public Library . (PDF Format)
The Twitchell-Rowland Homestead on Christian Street was accepted on the State Register of Historic Sites on June 7, 2006. The Oxford Historical Society moved the building to a site donated by Fred and Myrtle Rowland at 60 Towner Lane. See more information on the homestead at http://www.oxford-historical-society.org/
The Historical Society thanks all persons who have helped them in their efforts to preserve this treasure from Oxford's Colonial period.
Benefits of Delay of Demolition Ordinance:
• Tool to encourage historic preservation at no cost to the Town.The Ordinance does NOT:
• Provides a flexible time period (up to 90 days, maximum) in which preservationists may confer with applicant to discuss possible alternatives - including modification of building, creative and appropriate re-use, or moving; provide opportunity to document the building with measurements and photos for the historic record should the property owner choose to demolish the building.
• Uses official data from Assessor’s Database to provide age of all buildings.
• Provides notice to Municipal Historian, the Historical Society and any others who request inclusion in the notification list.
• Provides for exemption from delay in case of public health and safety.
• Prohibit modifications to historic structures.
• Take away the property owners right to demolish -- just provides for a period of discussion to consider alternatives.
OTHER INTERESTING LINKS:
Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation
Oxford and the Underground Railroad
National Historic Sites
Quaker Farms Historic District — 467-511 Quaker Farms Rd. (added September 9, 1991)
(467--511 Quaker Farms Rd., Oxford ) (150 acres, 19 buildings)
Sawmill and Gristmill Site (added September 17, 2001)